11 May, 2004

First Post

So here I am. Talking to everyone- or no one, as the case may be...

Just got back from Jamaica, where I got married one week ago. My mind is still in the Caribbean, so here's my question- Does Cuba currently, or will it ever have enough hard currency to truly trade with the world?

The fly-over was very interesting. With the exception of Havana, the island looks to me like a collection of sugar cane farms with a few minor roads throughout. There's not much going on there, or so it seems from 33,000 feet.

Advocates of free trade with Cuba include the U.S. agriculture industry, which believes that Cuba would import most of its food from the U.S., were it allowed to do so. Does Cuba gain enough hard currency from foreign travelers to purchase what we can sell them?

Post a comment if you have one...

No comments: