05 January, 2007

I'll Take a Routing Number with That, Please...

On January 3, the normally very responsible KFVS12 TV of Cape Girardeau did something that blew my mind. They produced a very compelling segment about a certain local health-care company that is bouncing payroll checks. Poor, pitiful employees.

In the segment, they show the bounced payroll check on air, with the identity of the payee blocked out by some one's thumb. Here's the amazing thing: even without the aid of a DVR, the check was on air for so long, you could easily make out the name of the bank, the routing number, and the account number of the company in question.

I realize that if a company is bouncing payroll checks, there may not be much money in the account. If I were in charge of either the bank or the health-care company, I'd have my lawyers at Dewey, Cheatham & Howe climbing straight up the skirt of KFVS12 for subjecting my company to serious financial risk in a most negligent way... Mike Smythe (general manager), you owe both companies a humble apology on air during one of your "Viewpoint" segments...

3 comments:

The Last American said...

Good luck getting any help on this.

Yesterday, I tried to alert the media about mass-murderer-of-schoolgirls Mitchell Johnson being caught on a weapons charge . . . AND RELEASED ON BOND, and didn't even get a nibble from the national media.

They're too busy with important matters, such as the pissing match between Rosie and Trump, I guess.

Dennis said...

Hey- I thought I was person of the year... Anyway, I'm not looking for national attention to this. In fact, other than for the mentioned companies, this really isn't a big deal (unlike the story you bring up in your comment). Most of the time, KVFS is really enjoyable to watch- they are usually as good as several of the news organizations in major media markets in terms of local news. It's just surprising to me that they would be so reckless with this one story.

What I'm hoping for is that KFVS will be more careful with sensitive information in the future...

Cheryl said...

Well, I kind of like Mike's comments, but I am disappointed in their lack of coverage. Do we live in Illinois?