19 June, 2007

Another Proud University Bows to the NCAA

The Arkansas State Indians are changing the name of their mascot. The NCAA mascot Gestapo has ruined the identity of another University in the name of political correctness.

I'm happy that not everyone at ASU is pleased about this forced change (from the above linked article):
“None of us like this,” said committee member Bill Keedy, a former Newport High School football coach and a radio announcer for ASU football games. “We think the NCAA is ‘hostile and abusive.’”

I do as well, Mr. Keedy. And may I suggest a perfectly watered-down mascot name? Arkansas State Native Americans? Arkansas State Vegetarians? Nah, maybe not. I'm sure the marketing firm will come up with a gender-neutral, environmentally-friendly, non-confrontational mascot...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, even if they do come up with something that is gender-neutral, envirnmentaly friendly...there is always someone that will complain about it. As long as the University will stand by their decision and support their decision, the troubles will soon fade. If the administration does not appear to support their decision, marketing efforts will not work; leading to yet another failure.

Whether you are for the change or against it, ASU has decided to change it. GET OVER IT. If you are from ASU, stand by ASU.

Dennis said...

Ahhhh, Anonymous. What's your first name, by the way? You are always the most courageous, informed, well-read, level-headed commenter on my blog! Welcome back, and thanks for commenting.

I am over it in terms of ASU, because I'm a Missouri Tiger, and the NCAA Mascot Gestapo will never change that at my school...

Clearly, you miss my point in this post. It just sickens me that another University is FORCED to change by the NCAA in the name of political correctness. That's my gripe, and I'll never be over that.

Perhaps the NCAA should take a look at some other offensive collegiate mascots- Fighting Irish (stereotypes Irish-Americans) Demon Deacons (obvious religious issues) Crusaders (clearly hostile to Muslim-Americans)

Again, thanks for stopping by.

Troy Camplin said...

I object to your title. There are no proud universities anymore. They are almost all shameful.