12 January, 2006

I Am in a Funk

and I'm not sure why. Maybe I am disappointed that the Maryland state legislature would actually have the audacity to dictate to Wal-Mart what its costs will be. If Wal-Mart's health-care benefits are too low for you, then don't work there. Folks, we've seen the results of the old command-and-control economies; they don't work, and nothing has changed in that department. I know that Wal-Mart would never do it, but it would make my year if Wal-Mart responded to the law by unceremoniously pulling out of Maryland, dumping all those horrible, low-paying jobs. There are apparently plenty of people in this country willing to work for them, and plenty of states out there glad to have the local jobs and tax dollars they provide.

Perhaps that's not the cause of my funk. It is sad, however. While I'm ranting about employment, I continue with this: All those industrial union types who demanded lavish pensions and artificially high pay in the past are now realizing that the birds come home to roost (Think General Motors (I say GM goes bankrupt by the end of 2007) , Delphi, Ford, etc). Pretty soon, no employer to pay them anything. Damn. Take that, Local ### worker- you may not have a job, but by golly you fought for your 'fair share.' You showed them.

Nah, it can't be that stuff. It's not enough to put me in a prolonged bad mood. Things are only temporarily out of phase, however. I know this because I rarely experience the funk, but when I do, it seems to resolve itself. Back to the grind. I have work to do.

No comments: