04 July, 2004

Political Correctness finally reaches my corner of Missouri

Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO) in Cape Girardeau recently changed the name of their mascot from the 'Indians' to the 'Red Hawks.' In my view, it was a spineless decision. In fact, how did the Board of Regents even let it become a decision?

Despite all the belly-aching from various interest groups, I believe that the name 'Indians' is nothing more than a tribute to the Native Americans who inhabited this land so long ago. I don't know how anyone could see it as mockery.

Since we're renaming anything that might offend someone, somewhere, I propose that we rename all the states in the Midwest that bear Indian names (which would be most of them). Surely, those state names were meant as a joke and a mockery!

(SEMO link below)

semissourian.com: Article

Please comment, maybe we can compile a list of all things that might offend anyone, and get uptight and angry about them all!

No comments: