03 November, 2005

I Never Thought I'd Hear Myself Say It,

But in the midst of all the comments about Rosa Parks' death, Al Sharpton may have made the most sense of them all. I only caught pieces of his speech at the funeral, but it seems that his comments were very dignified, MLK-esque, and right on the money. He even incorporated a bit of that Bill Cosby personal responsibility vibe into the speech. Wow. Al Sharpton, I am truly surprised. Is it possible that I could become a Sharpton fan? Better withhold judgement for now. One good speech does not a convert make...

On the other hand, there were clearly some posers speaking as well. Jesse Jackson totally looked like a fool- I can see why he would want to glom on to the memory of a real hero. He has zero credibility these days. In that same category, Bill Clinton, our first black President, made an attempt at a rhyming speech- perhaps poetry? Lots of words that rhymed with 'free.' Uh-huh. Well crafted, Bill. You've inspired me to borrow some of your speech:

Bill, you have made me see
and we can all agree
that you are free
to be a poser!

No comments: