01 August, 2005

Rational Self-Interest is Good for Everyone

On my recent trip to New York, something happened with a bus driver that reinforced my notion that rational self interest should be the proper reason to take any action. I knew this well, but I slipped on this occasion:

My friend Carl and I were waiting for our wives to finish up some shopping, so we could move on to our next destination. A bus pulled up to the stop, and a guy on a wheelchair started to get off the bus. Of course, the driver didn't pull the bus up far enough for the man to unload onto level pavement, so I thought I'd help the man. As I did, the bus driver shows up back there to help out as well, but says to the man, ' this guy just wants your money'. WHAT? I make my own money, thank you. If I were a more violent man, I would have smacked the driver around a bit. (For those of you who don't know, training in the martial arts often makes a person very tranquil and peaceful - I am no exception) The man in the wheelchair then looked at me suspiciously. That's what I get for trying to help.

On the other hand, I have a situation where acting rationally in my own self-interest works for everyone. My neighbor, Mr. H, is an elderly gentleman and really has no business being out mowing his lawn in the Southeast Missouri heat and humidity. I offered to mow his yard when I do my own, and didn't ask him for anything in return. However, I benefit greatly from the arrangement: I get to keep an excellent neighbor around for as long as possible. Good neighbors are hard to find, and I don't want to lose this one. The arrangement is good for both of us.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

W- always good to get comments from regular readers. I don't know if you've been to Manhattan lately, but I kid you not when I say that I felt drastically safer there than I do when in downtown Memphis, Tennessee (my nearest 'big' city). There were cops everywhere in NYC...