14 February, 2006

E*Trade Update

I previously griped about E*Trade. While I still say their customer service sucks in general, I managed to get a hold of a customer service rep today who not only knew his business, but was also willing to immediately go and get the answer I was looking for. My confidence in the company is slowly starting to increase. I hope I luck out and get the same guy on the phone for any future service issues. Fat chance, right? Here's where I stand with them now:

Trading platform/web site: excellent
Commission pricing: excellent
Customer service: lacking, but there is a glimmer of hope

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My experience with E-Trade is terrible. I was a former Harris Direct customer and I was very happy. Since the transfer to E-Trade, I have an average customer service hold time of ~1 hour. That's pretty bad. I normally wouldn't need to contact customer service, but they have actually made execution errors on my account. E-Trade did not properly execute a Mutual Fund Exchange for me. Then today another issue. An order was placed without my authorization. I couldn't believe it! I finally got through to customer service tonight (after 1 hour hold) and they are looking into the issue. Of course they couldn't investigate tonight because the computer they needed is not available until tomorrow ... I don't quite understand that. I asked the customer service rep what the fees were to close my accounts. A whopping $60. I have 7 accounts so that is $420. Insane. They refuse to waive the fee ... even though they can't execute my orders correctly. Unbelievable. Beware of E-Trade!!!!!